1. From the end of May, some 295,000 homes along the East-West Line (EWL) will receive information packs from SMRT entitled “Paving the Way for Better Journeys” as part of continuing efforts by SMRT to inform, update and educate commuters of the several rail renewal projects.
2. Such work on SMRT’s North-South and East-West Lines (NSEWL) involve multi-year, multi-programme efforts that include changing old wooden sleepers with concrete ones, replacing signalling systems and renewing the Third Rail, as well as introducing new trains to enhance the service and reliability of the NSEWL to bring Better Journeys to all our commuters.
3. The key benefits from each of these efforts to commuters include Smoother Rides, Shorter Waiting Times, a More Reliable Network and More Trains (which mean higher frequency).
4. Each “Paving the Way for Better Journeys” info pack comes with four collectible fridge magnets to commemorate these landmark rail upgrades which are being carried out in Singapore for the first time. The packs will be sent direct to homes along the EWL, where multiple projects are taking place simultaneously. The sleeper replacement work, in particular, has led to speed restrictions at some parts of the EWL because the newly-laid concrete sleepers need time to stabilise firmly on the track bed. The info pack explains why the work is necessary and how it will benefit commuters.
5. Commuters will also stand a chance of owning a limited-edition EZ-Link card (with a stored value of $20), when they provide their feedback on the “Better Journeys” survey, accessible via a QR code printed on the pamphlets.
6. SMRT Trains’ Managing Director, Mr Lee Ling Wee says: ““In total, there are about 200km of track on NSEWL to be renewed and upgraded. Over the past two years, we have been able to carry out these renewal and upgrade work ahead of schedule, even as we continue to keep the network operational every day. We know that the work has caused inconvenience to both commuters and residents who live near MRT track. As such, I would like to express my deepest appreciation to you for your kind understanding, patience and support.”
7. The “Paving the Way for Better Journeys” information packs follow a customised SMRT’s 24-page rail transformation primer, “Your Journey Matters” which was launched in November 2015 which explains what are the upgrades to the NSEWL, as well as how and why it is being done. The primer also states when commuters will start experiencing smoother and more reliable rides. The first edition is available for download from the SMRT website. “Your Journey Matters” will be updated later this year to capture the latest progress made in renewing the NSEWL.