1. What is meant by no longer liable for National Service?
Under the Enlistment Act, Chapter 93, NSmen will not be liable for NS call-ups when they reach the statutory age limit of 40 for Warrant Officers, Specialists and Enlistees (WOSEs) and 50 for Officers. In other words, personnel reaching the stated statutory age limit will no longer be liable to be called up for any NS activities such as ICT, IPPT, mobilisation etc.
2. What should I do to my SAF personal equipment now that I have completed my NS liability?
You may dispose the items in the normal ways as long as the items do not end up in an unauthorised usage. Alternatively, you may return the items to any SAF.eMart outlet.
3. Do I have to keep the notification letter?
Your National Service liability status will have been updated in our system once you reached your statutory age limit. There is hence no requirement for you to keep the notification letter unless you just want to retain it for reference.
4. How can I go about obtaining a replacement copy of the notification letter?
As highlighted in para 3, there is actually no requirement for you to keep the notification letter. Should you however still require a replacement copy, you may contact NS Call Centre at 1800-3676767 or email us at [email protected]
5. Will all NSmen who reach their statutory age receive the notification letter?
Generally, all NSmen will receive the notification letters except for those who are released and discharged on medical grounds or those who renounced their citizenship.
6. Do I still need to apply for Exit Permit or inform MINDEF Notification Centre when I travel overseas henceforth?
7. Will I still enjoy the NSmen tax relief now that I have completed my NS liability?
Yes. Generally, all NSmen will continue to enjoy a tax relief of S$1,500.00 from their taxable income unless subsequently revoked by the Proper Authority.
8. Am I eligible or will I be allowed to continue my SAFRA membership upon reaching my statutory age limit?
For details on SAFRA membership, you may wish to contact SAFRA at 1800-3779800 or logon to www.safra.sg.